Are you trying to lose weight?
Have you already tried different weight loss programs, including subscribing to a lot of varied diets to no avail?
Maybe you’ve lost weight only to gain it back and more a short time later.
Perhaps your program and diet have some shortcomings or generally deprive you of essential nutrients which resulted in you losing weight, but having to deal with even worse health complications.
Remember, the weight loss market is now considered to be a billion-dollar industry.
Some people and companies in the weight-loss business are just interested in making money and do not care about your health. This has led to a tremendous increase in trendy/fad diets. Want to know more about it? Then read on!
What Are Fad Diets?
These are diets that promise to offer you quick fixes, such as losing weight within a limited timeframe but, in return, deprive you of indispensable nutrients.
Unfortunately, a lot of people who desperately need a weight loss program have fallen prey to these diets. But how do you recognize a fad diet?
The Lie Behind A Fad Diet
The pressure that comes with the urge to lose weight can be misleading and interspersed with dire consequences.
In that regard, many individuals have ended up adopting some unhealthy strategies that promise quick weight loss results but, in the end, led to frustration.
As a victim, you not only get temporary or no results at all but also waste your money and time on those tactics.
One of the deceptive weight-loss strategies people have gotten themselves into is the use of fad diets.
Characteristics of Fad diets
These diets are characterized by:
● Claiming to offer a magic weight loss strategy;
● Very convincing but also sounding too good to be true;
● Promising quick and easy fixes to help you lose weight in a short period of time;
● Promoting the use of certain super products or foods;
● Forbidding or prohibiting particular food groups like fats or whole grains;
● Suggesting that supplements or food can modify your body chemistry such as alkalizing you or altering your pH level;
● Being often very low on calories;
● Advertisement using buzz words like Fasting, Clean eating, Low Carb, Detoxification, Quick, Fat, and Body Cleansing, to mention a few;
● Offering temporary results without a proper transition plan or nutrition education;
● Providing biased and inadequate advice lacking scientific evidence;
● Often being anchored on one single testimonial or study to prove their efficacy;
● Setting very strict, fixed rules intended to help you lose weight.
Outcomes of The Fad Diet Promises
Honestly speaking, many people are likely to be carried away by the aforementioned empty promises. A lot of individuals who are grievously attempting to lose weight have fallen into the trap of fad diets. For them, the aftermath of using those diets can be daunting.
Disadvantages of Fad Diets
As discussed earlier on, fad diets claim to offer a quick weight loss program but, in turn, deny you essential nutrients. As a result, you are likely to experience the symptoms below:
● Inadequate mineral and vitamin intake;
● The weight will come back as soon as you stop that diet;
● Fatigue and weakness;
● Stress of not losing weight.
● Serious disruption of your metabolism making it harder to lose weight in the future
Do Fad Diets Work?
In a word… No!
First and foremost, fad diets prohibit either calories or certain foods, denying you crucial macronutrients and micronutrients.
Furthermore, these diets are considered physically and mentally unsustainable. They are just temporary diets that will deprive you of essential nutrients hence putting your health in jeopardy.
Most people who use fad diets tend to regain weight very fast, an indication that this weight loss strategy is not sustainable.
When it comes to selecting a weight loss program, you need to be very careful. Not every diet plan you come across will help you shed that additional weight you so desperately want to lose.
The weight loss industry is currently flooded with selfish individuals and firms that are passionately interested in making money and your health is the least of their worries.
They promote fad diets which are not safe for use and lack important macro- and micronutrients. A good weight loss plan should focus on giving you a quality diet, exercise and education to change your habits for the better. It will also be flexible not rigid.
Therefore, you must seek advice and guidance from a reputable weight loss professional who can ensure you adopt a healthy, sustainable program.
Do not be carried away by the fad diet bubble!